Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Let's Live it Up

As a teenager I found myself unaware of the thoughts and internal conflicts that aging involves until reading Elizabeth Strout's novel, Olive Kitteridge.  I acknowledge that my young age has the effect of ignorance on my consideration of topics like death and loneliness.  Like many young adults I imagine I still have feelings of invincibility allowing me to take risks and do things I want to do without death or injury really crossing my mind.  In contrast, Olive appeared much more aware of the close proximity she had to death due to her old age.  Instead of knowing its inevitability a long way away that my generation tends believe, Olive asks that her death "be quick" (253).  Strout's implication of serious fear of death that seniors have juxtaposes the lack of thought I really have regarding the issue.  As a result, I find myself sympathetic of those that fear the inevitable and do not have reassurance that they have time to live it up.  Due to that pathos I have pledged to spend as much time as possible with my elders that I love and encourage them to live the remainder of their lives to the fullest with my help.  Additionally, Strout motivated me to see my grandparents more often as a result of the empathy the author imposed while Olive lived alone after her husband's placement in assisted living.  Olive described her life of loneliness as "'hell'" and due to hell's extremely dark and depressing connotation I want to alleviate the loneliness some of my loved ones may suffer from by visiting with them more frequently and speaking with them more often (255).  Little moments I try to spend with my grandparents to avoid the feelings of "'always [being] alone'" (255).  I consider myself extremely independent and even I can not stand loneliness for too long, so empathetically I do not want any of my loved ones to feel the same way.  People have packed schedules these days I know, but I also know adopting monotonous schedules that look the same, day in and day out, like many senior citizens do can not provide any enjoyment.  The sympathy and respect Strout instilled in me regarding my elders has changed me.  I want them to enjoy life as much as I do and have schedules as entertaining as the one I follow.  Grandparents provide a lot to get little in return.  Spending time with them compares well to the high-ticket gifts we always rely on them to get us at birthdays and holidays.  Why not return the favor and give them the gift at the top of their list?  Only time appears on the price tag. 

3 comments:

  1. I also feel that Strout introduces me to conflicts that adults face on a day-to-day basis, ones that I stood completely unaware of as a young, careless, teenager. However, Strout also instills a deep fear in me that my adult life will turn out as miserably as the countless loveless couples that long for their days of youth. Now more than ever, Strout's work has me nervous to enter the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I interpreted Olive's plea for her death to "be quick" in a different manner, I saw a lonely woman that wished her death would approach sooner rather than simply hoping for a painless manner of it happening. I can understand her request for who really wants to have their body deteriorate if they live with or for no one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shannon's sentiments. In America today with the divorce rate skyrocketing, marriage hardly seems worth the commitment if divorce is just as likely an outcome as staying together until death do you part. I fear the path that relationships seem to turn these days, and I pray true commitments exist when my time for marriage comes.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Total Pageviews