Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Who Let the Dogs Out? Woof Woof Woof Woof.

After receiving the yellow lab characterization last week I have decided to take it full circle.  Therefore, my movie selection reflects the persona I recently have embraced.  Surprisingly, the list of fitting films proved much longer than anticipated.  I considered many--My Dog Skip, Old Yeller, Must Love Dogs, and Beverly Hills Chihuahua to name a few.  However, one stands far and above the rest, the one I can relate to best: Air Bud.  Jess's proclamation of me as a Labrador retriever brought forth a new Kyle Weber.  In the words of the film's subtitle, "The Dog Is In The House."  Until recently I never made such an intimate connection to the Disney family-comedy.  Thanks for opening my eyes ex-writing-partner, your simile has come to define me.  Okay, maybe Bud hails from a different breed of retriever but I am sure the Labrador and the golden share a close common ancestor.  Beyond the obvious comparison of a dog to my happy-go-lucky, proverbial tail-wagging self, Buddy and I have a lot more in common.  Upon their first encounter Buddy comes off as extremely shy and non-confrontational with his future best friend, Josh.  Similarly, I have the tendency to ease into revealing my complete personality with new people.  Not until this semester have I received the yellow Labrador comparison, AP English 12 must have summoned my true colors I suppose.  In order to gain the trust of Bud, Josh bribes the dog with cups of pudding.  Now, I do not recall ever getting pudding in Ms. Serensky's class but I love to imagine the prospect of it because I have always had a craving for the treat.  From age five to age nine I had at least one SnackPack of various flavors everyday.  Coincidentally, Buddy and I have eerily similar track records on the basketball court as well.  An unorthodox baller, Buddy had his own way of shooting the basketball: with his nose.  Likewise, I have the reputation for having odd form myself.  Although I do not shoot the ball with my face I see the example Buddy sets as one all atypical shooters should respect.  Air Bud taught me to have no shame when playing the game, rather play your hardest and to the best of your abilities regardless of how you get the job done.  Maybe Bud ran into a similar problem as I did involving our not-so-fundamental game which allowed me to make the team but see the floor only on occasion.  Buddy can feel my pain as he served as part of Josh's basketball team but with the primary role of team mascot.  I am no Mortimer, but probably the closest thing to a male cheerleader the basketball team has ever seen.  Hey, if you cannot influence the game directly with your play, do so with your voice (or bark).  I understand and embrace the call out Jess made regarding the way I act.  As long as I am considered with the likes of Buddy, Skip, and Old Yeller I have no complaints (Cujo and Fluffy comparisons on the other hand would anger me).  Consequently, if Disney ever needs a main man for Air Bud "The Scholarly Student-Athlete," I nominate myself for the job.  Wag more and bark less my friends.  Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Total Pageviews