Wednesday, April 10, 2013

How Do You Like Them Apples

I get the sense that my college destination this coming August attracts a typically different student than myself.  Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, from what I have observed, plays home to many east coast preppers from affluent private schools.  I, on the other hand, hail from a small, public school in the rust belt and speak with a funny, flat accent.  In order to flip the bill for the $60,000 worth of tuition and fees per year I have a work study requirement as a portion of my significant financial aid as well.  My circumstances may not jump off the page as I assume many of my peers must participate in similar programs at schools in regions of the country where people do not pronounce their O's and A's like us.  Nonetheless, I see the potential for me to achieve a status in college one of my favorite movies of all time has inspired.  In Good Will Hunting, a janitor at MIT exemplifies a natural ability to solve incredibly difficult math problems posed to graduate students which eventually lands him job offers that pay a pretty penny more than what he earned previously.  While I know I do not possess the inhuman math skills of Will Hunting, I do possess the outsider characteristics to Bates as Will does to MIT.  Additionally, I like to think of myself as a math guy and would like to do something involving the subject in my future so of course I would enjoy the comparison to Will from the perspectives of my peers.  I know I cannot live the started-from-the-bottom success story Will does but I would like to experience the feelings of studying something that interests me and achieving success as a result of working in and out of the classroom with the prospect of my future in mind.   Hopefully my classmates view me with the respect Will's peers eventually develop about him after seeing his talent and his work to apply it.  Will also does pretty well with the ladies in the movie and what college male would not want that?  That aspect of the movie appeals to me, otherwise I am not too interested in what else the plot holds for Will which touches on domestic abuse and near imprisonment.  Consequently, Will does not seem like the typical math geek and similarly I would like to achieve success in the field of math without the nerd label but viewing me as a less dramatic version of Will Hunting has more to it.  People understand the adversity Will faces and respect his character that keeps him going--two characteristics of a person I value a lot.  Ultimately, I want people to see me as that person that worked his way to achieve success while also using my story as encouragement to pursue goals they have passions for.

1 comment:

  1. Like you, Kyle, my college decision also relied heavily upon my financial aid package. I will not enter University life as daughter of a rich and well-known alumnus, and I will also certainly keep myself busy with work-study and stressing about my student loans. I, too, feel the need to prove myself on campus to become noticed as an academic powerhouse.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Total Pageviews